Re: [TR] [British-cars] Lucas Starter Squeal

To: list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] [British-cars] Lucas Starter Squeal
From: Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:23:04 -0500
I've had the brush issue myself.   the car just would not start -- I thought
it was a tired battery.  Bought a new one and it did not do the trick. --
being a bit naieve - I went and bought the biggest battery that would fit in
the hole.   It would still barely turn but did get it started - likely cause
the engine had low compression....

I tore into the starter and found one of the brush holders had broken - as I
had to be on the road early the next morning - I had a brass angle bracket
that I used to bolt the thing together to get me going.  10 or more years
later -- I still haven't gone back and fixed it properly...

I will address it when I rebuild the engine -- most times when I start the
car - I get this wraaang noise after it's cranked -  I assume the starter
drive gear is not retracting fast enough...  If the noise comes after it's
started - could be your rebuilder used grease to lube the sliding assembly
-- that will get cha...

Chris
Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html