Re: [TR] What do you use to clean greasy parts?

To: Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] What do you use to clean greasy parts?
From: David Lylis <dlylis@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 02:41:42 -0500
I use odorless paint thinner.  I bought a metal pan that goes under a water
heater and put it on a table.  When parts are clean  I put the liquid back
into a clear plastic 1 gal Cranberry Juice bottle (sans Cranberry Juice),
and let the solids settle out and use it again.  When it is too dirty I haul
it off to local recycling.  Parts dry fairly quickly, and the stuff,
although flammable, is nowhere near as dangerous as gasoline.

I highly recommend getting a plastic garden sprayer and putting a fitting on
the top/side to connect an air hose.  This requires a valve so you can
GENTLY introduce air pressure and have a squirter to use with the setup
described above.  GENTLY is a KEY word here and it saves you from repeatedly
having  to pump up the sprayer.

I cleaned my TR3A block this way as it fits right over the pan while mounted
on the engine stand.