Re: [TR] TR2/3 Control head installation

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2/3 Control head installation
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:49:04 -0700
> Have the lever at the 12:00
> position and the 'tab' on the plate next to the stator tube in the 6:00
> position. Is this the correct alignment for the head?

Yes, assuming the wheel and steering are both in the "straight-ahead"
position.

> Do they have to extend below the surface of the steering hub
> to make sufficient contact to secure the control head?

Yes.  You need to back them out so they are flush while installing the head,
then snug them down until they grab the plate at the back of the head.  Only
the point will be protruding, by perhaps 1/16" - 1/8", but it has to come
out to grab the plate.

> Anyone know what size/thread the grub screws are? May have to find a
> new set.

Sorry, I don't know offhand.  But screws with the point are hard to find
(most setscrews have a circular tip, designed to dig into a flat surface),
so I'd just buy the 'proper' ones.  TRF has them listed under PN 59107,
$1.75 each.  At that price, I'm guessing they had them custom-made rather
than finding an off-the-shelf part.

-- Randall

triumphs@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html