[TR] Sealing fender doglegs

To: "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Sealing fender doglegs
From: "Cliff Hansen" <cliff_hansen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:44:41 -0700

--===============0938233422==

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01CC26B3.C3BC70D0

The doglegs on the front fenders have gaps at the ends (vertical part), =
perhaps 1/8=E2=80=9D at most.  The body man has been unable (or =
unwilling) to reshape the arc of the dogleg to exactly match the curve =
of the sill, and, I rather doubt that an exact match is important. =20

I=E2=80=99d like to close the gap to prevent spray from the wheels from =
making its way in between the fender and sill, and I=E2=80=99d =
appreciate advice regarding what we could use to prevent water from =
entering the space between the fender dogleg and the sill.  Body guy =
suggested body caulk, but I=E2=80=99ve seen his caulking and think it =
will be ugly.  What about something like dum-dum, that can be smoothed =
after the panel is securely mounted?

I plan to run a long section of hose from the scuttle drains through the =
inner fender and exit through the baffle plates, so that the scuttle =
won=E2=80=99t drain into the space between the inner and outer fenders.  =

Thanks in advance,

Cliff
66 TR4A
------=_NextPart_000_001A_01CC26B3.C3BC70D0

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
<DIV>The doglegs on the front fenders have gaps at the ends (vertical =
part),=20
perhaps 1/8=E2=80=9D at most.&nbsp; The body man has been unable (or =
unwilling) to=20
reshape the arc of the dogleg to exactly match the curve of the sill, =
and, I=20
rather doubt that an exact match is important.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I=E2=80=99d like to close the gap to prevent spray from the wheels =
from making its=20
way in between the fender and sill, and I=E2=80=99d appreciate advice =
regarding what we=20
could use to prevent water from entering the space between the fender =
dogleg and=20
the sill.&nbsp; Body guy suggested body caulk, but I=E2=80=99ve seen his =
caulking and=20
think it will be ugly.&nbsp; What about something like dum-dum, that can =
be=20
smoothed after the panel is securely mounted?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I plan to run a long section of hose from the scuttle drains =
through the=20
inner fender and exit through the baffle plates, so that the scuttle =
won=E2=80=99t drain=20
into the space between the inner and outer fenders.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks in advance,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cliff</DIV>
<DIV>66 TR4A</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

triumphs@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums