[TR] TR3A wire harness (rear) question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3A wire harness (rear) question
From: "davewillner" <dwillner@ptd.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:35:02 -0400

--===============0755149401==

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CC284D.21A424A0

I'm a better plumber than electrician, wanted to start there....

I did the final connections this morning with my new harness and got the =
dash installed and for the most part everything works very well, so I'm =
fairly happy (pat on back...). Problem is when I turn the light switch =
on, the Ammeter jumps to 30+ and the rear lights are dim and the wires =
red hot...My harness from Moss has 2 red leads to each rear light, 2 =
green/purple to the right and 1 green/purple to the left, a red lead to =
the license plate lamp, a blue/white to the right blinker and a =
green/red to the left blinker.

The diagrams I have indicated that the two tail lamps are in series with =
2 red leads that tie each together, correct? I haven't seen any diagrams =
that indicate 2 green/purple leads to the right tail lamp, should these =
be twisted and go to one connection, or is one of them not used? I had =
originally tried twisting together and going to one connection,?  I also =
didn't remember any grounds on those lamps when I pulled the old ones =
out, and I didn't ground these other, should I start there?=20

Appreciate the help, thanks =20

Dave Willner
Stroudsburg PA
59 TR3A (no longer Apple, now dark BRG)
70 MGB
70 BSA 441 VS
------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CC284D.21A424A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I'm a better plumber than electrician, =
wanted to=20
start there....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I did the final connections this =
morning with my=20
new&nbsp;harness and got the dash installed and for the most part =
everything=20
works very well, so I'm fairly happy (pat on back...). Problem is when I =
turn=20
the light switch&nbsp;on, the Ammeter jumps to 30+ and the rear lights =
are dim=20
and the wires red hot...My harness from Moss has 2 red leads to each =
rear light,=20
2 green/purple to the right and 1 green/purple to the left, a red lead =
to the=20
license plate lamp, a blue/white to the right blinker and a green/red to =
the=20
left blinker.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The diagrams I have&nbsp;indicated that =
the two=20
tail lamps are in series with 2 red leads that tie each together, =
correct? I=20
haven't seen any diagrams that indicate 2 green/purple leads to the =
right tail=20
lamp, should these be twisted and go to one connection, or is one of =
them not=20
used? I had originally tried twisting&nbsp;together and going to one=20
connection,?&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I also didn't =
remember=20
any grounds on those lamps when I pulled the old&nbsp;ones out, and I =
didn't=20
ground these other, should I start there? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Appreciate the help,=20
thanks</FONT>&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><BR>Dave Willner<BR>Stroudsburg =
PA<BR>59 TR3A (no=20
longer Apple, now dark BRG)<BR>70 MGB<BR>70 BSA 441=20
VS</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

triumphs@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive