[TR] Cam timing for 1974 TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Cam timing for 1974 TR6
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 13:12:26 -0800 (PST)
Hi guys,

I just installed the timing chain/gears for a new stock camshaft using Mr.
Robert Bentley's "The Complete Official Triumph TR6 and TR250 Manual 1967-1976"
with the cylinder head in place (new chain and gears with no markings).

It went very smoothly, so smoothly, in fact, that it almost seemed too simple.
Are there any known problems with using the instructions on page 135 of this
manual for timing a stock cam?

"With the crankshaft at TDC, set valve clearances for the #11 and #12 valves to
.120", oscillate the cam a few degrees so that valves eleven and twelve are on
the 'rock,' whilst checking both valve clearances with two feeler gauges of the
same value.  When clearances are the same, the camshaft and crankshaft are in
their correct relationship."

I have perused many other installation instructions that make this method
appear
to be suspiciously simple.  I hope not, of course...

Any experiences/advice would be appreciated.  Thank you very much.
best,

doug
'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Triumph TR6