[TR] TR3 & Land Rover

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3 & Land Rover
From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <tjwakeman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:37:35 -0700
On 2/7/12 9:02 AM, bill_beecher@flash.net wrote:
> Just bought an old Land Rover to share the garage with the TR3(TR content)
> and need to move it from Malibu, California to Abilene, Texas.
A sensible vehicle combination.  My TR3 has shared the stable with my
Land Rover since I purchased my TR3 in 1986.

They are such completely different driving experiences that you never
get tired of either if you drive the one you are currently in the mood
for.  And yet many of the electric components are the same and the style
of construction are very similar so if you know how to work on one you
know how to work on the other.

An FYI:

The owners manual has the maintenance schedule and step by step
instructions for doing a tune up and all the maintenance stuff. The SIII
owners manual is available new & will work with the SIIA maintenance.

You will also need the workshop manual if you dig into it any deeper
than a tune up.

Also, the Axle assemblies, gearbox and transfercase of North American
spec Series Land Rovers use Whitworth fixings.

You do not need a complete socket or wrench set for your truck as there
are some sizes that do not exist on your truck.  The most common
Whitworth sizes for your truck are:

    *3/16* - The little nuts holding the transfercase bottom plate and I
    think the retaining bolts for the big swivel housing seal
    *1/4* - Common use
    *5/16* - Common use on the transfercase.  You will need a 5/16ths
    socket for the nuts inside the transfercase holding it to the gearbox
    *3/8* - The transfercase mounting bracket fixings and a couple other
    places

    You might also consider a *7/16* and a *1/2* spanner.  They are not
    as commonly used as the other sizes and you can normally get an
    adjustable spanner in where these nuts are located.

    Welcome to the TR & LR combination group

    Teriann

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive