Re: [TR] Removing Bolts?

To: "Cosmo Kramer" <tr4a2712@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Removing Bolts?
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:54:54 -0500
With the engine and transmission out it won't do any good to support the
spring. There is not enough weight in the car to overcome the spring
pressure. If the spring lets go the front of the car will bounce up and
possible off the jack. You have to have the engine and tranny in the car to
have enough frame weight to compress the spring. By supporting the spring
you are only preventing the spring from going down, not preventing the frame
from going up if the spring decompresses.
I tried to remove my springs with the engine and tranny out and all I did
was to raise the front end of the car. I ended up putting a 55 gal barrell
in the engine bay and filling it with water to have enough weight to
compress the springs for removal.
Pete