[TR] smoke? coming from valve cover vent

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] smoke? coming from valve cover vent
From: "Jeremiah Curry" <jeremiah@curryclan.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:08:12 -0700
Howdy all,

My car is blowing a significant amount of smoke out of the vent in the oil
filler cap in the valve cover.  I am wondering if I should be worried and
what it means.  Here is the backstory:

Car was parked in 1969, a couple of years ago I got it running and have
driven it for probably 1000 miles.  Back in August I was moving 300 miles
and decided to drive my Triumph to the new house.  About 220 miles into the
trip I pushed too hard on a hill, overheated and I think blew the
headgasket.  Lost power, white smoke from the exhaust, overheating etc.  I
also had low oil pressure on the trip, which may play in here.  Fast forward
to now, I changed the headgasket and changed the oil (went from 10w30 to
20w50 which seems to have helped the oil pressure) and coolant.  Put
everything back together and car was running really rough, I checked the
valve clearance again and cleaned the sparkplugs and started it again, still
hard to start and really rough, I don't have the choke installed, never
have, but I went to the front of the car and held the choke as if the cable
was pulled and the car started right up and idled fine.  Stupid question,
but does the choke do more than just holding the gas down a little would?
Anyway, I adjusted the screw to make it like the choke was on a little all
of the time and drove around the block a couple of times, revved the engine
etc.  Everything seems fine except that there is a large amount of what I
think must be smoke coming from that vent.  The car is running rich (has
since I got it running, I am scared to adjust the carbs that paltech set so
nicely for me). But otherwise seems fine and the oil is clear and as far as
I can tell, so is the coolant.  Should I be worried? If so any ideas?

On a related note, my new house is about 3,000 feet lower in elevation, will
that make the car run richer or leaner?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremiah

** triumphs@autox.team.net **