Re: [TR] somewhat off topic - bicycles and garages and triumphs

To: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>, "'Dave'" <dave@ranteer.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] somewhat off topic - bicycles and garages and triumphs
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:43:54 -0500
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
I am a sailor and. therefore, like to complicate such matters :). I use a system of blocks (pulleys to the landlubber) to lift the bicycles up to the ceiling. Remember to use the largest practical diameter wheel in the blocks that you select, because frictional forces will then be reduced. Ideally, the tackle you design will be chock-a-block (ie the lower block will be tight against the upper block) before the handlebars hit the ceiling. Yes, this is indeed the derivation of the term chock-a-block, meaning packed in tightly. And, further off topic, my Dad, who was a product of the Royal Navy, used to complain about being "chocker" when he was fed-up - same derivation. I love the English language!

Capt. Mike (Master, Gt Lakes & Inland Waters, 100 Gross Tons)