[TR] Over heating

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Over heating
From: Cosmo Kramer <tr4a2712@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 07:32:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hi List!
In digest 6:94 Randall wrote:
I initially installed the stock fan and
radiator on TS13571L (except the radiator had no crank hole, so I'm assuming
the previous owner had it recorded).  It worked great under most conditions,
but coming home from TRfest 2009 I found a big traffic jam where we averaged
under 20 mph for roughly 40 miles.  (Yes, that's over 2 hours stuck in
traffic.)  The gauge kept slowly creeping up, until I started shutting the
engine off every chance I could, to keep the heat down.  That was when I
determined to go back to the electric fan I had used on the previous TR3A.
I was told that shutting the engine off  & then
starting it up to move, to keep the heat down would INCREASE the chance of
over heating because starting the engine causes more heat. Now I don't
understand why, but that's what I was told (not saying that I believe that).

Can any explain WHY this might happen?
-Cosmo Kramer

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive