[TR] results.....water pump pulley alignment

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] results.....water pump pulley alignment
From: Gary Nafziger <nafzigerg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 18:16:03 -0700 (PDT)
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=dQuCcZgMB+IrCID/GStkkKgaefUF6Lk1MlFyDEJsnTM69QMLrjkM2fCrjoZraNbF2lJ7K88L0R8h8i7fDzqAzsMFDfc3dp9GTYXag5LH2bw/o3LSmHyUqAZ8fRtntX+gpU6XwW5+G7sS2EU61QvC2+jb2W7mH9nC19HomxXkCBA= ; v42L8L4.ExFRuYWshwDzG2QhnlFOxRf3_BHWYMhvCi81XMFWaOp6wsr2tzYz _acSOyPzS5EjZ.mPB.qJiuvG7i_MDxgbUz71MMtXJrKIixIlZ0xrh2j1PTgl QYUSQ2NGzo08EsBLVd.C_h2JUvyHpYG.x.lLTrc6joTSLHX_lcTqtYciA52_ kkgkIXAQ5fRLKr1h64Vw0gJPeYV1uLmQ0nlpJe83x_D6neMApVCf4Tp5joqA O9PdQPSIY9u887IotSvtHjJ8WEj4dNUqe1s1M_pnAHc20CGFyPDq8AfbfSu. 5uVkPsFocfnPE0d9.d04J3r_xGLuKGa2oqtX.Ect7BPVsKOQtMt5qlZxiYP5 xY5ebflxjXuiohmNwUbOCMG9x6ag6EEFOBL4YXW.ZLq0atSdUatD4YrBokqy 8nYZsLtK8l0PuVNtefbH1mKmUHdZ91e.q6AokNR7Ii7A7e3FM0OdjhXMOjaD 5lIaRcMUPEEfpp7C_quT7s6XA8ZUVK_54x07VT7kqcdRSTvSt0dMyxUFrXld FSgx3XwhSogjTpGlPdqakrGXnpnocGg--
I probably shouldn't admit to screw-ups but that's how we learn!  My original
question to the list was concerning  a mis-aligned water pump pulley.  I
noticed the water pump pulley was at least half inch farther forward than it
should be.  This is a newly restored tr-3 with less than 25-30 miles on it.

removed the pump and the pulley immediately fell off.  The nut that was
supposed to hold the pulley on was on the shaft but inside the pulley!  I
guess I had installed the water pump then slipped the pulley over the
shaft..........as a "test fit" and later managed to install the generator,
belt and tighten everything up without noticing.  I found I also had not
completely tightened the bottom generator mounting bolts.

During the 25-30
miles I've driven the car since restoration the pulley had apparently been
turning partially on the shaft and partially on the snout of the water pump.
I've also found various other nuts and bolts needing tightening.  Needless to
say I have the pulley appropriately mounted and am double checking other areas
specifically front suspension.

Just an FYI for others contemplating a
restoration.  Other stories out there? LOL

gary n.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive