Re: [TR] TR4A Sputtering

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Brian Thomas <thomasb@queensu.ca>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A Sputtering
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 22:03:22 +0000
---- Brian Thomas <thomasb@queensu.ca> wrote:

> Another problem I'm having is that once the car gets up to operating
> temperature, the idle will not return to 800 rpm unless the gas pedal is
> goosed.  I've been told my throttle shafts are worn and the carbs are likely
> sucking air around them.  Is this the likely cause?

Seems unlikely to me.  IMO it's more likely that the worn shafts (and
bushings/housings) are letting the throttle plates drag on the bottom of the
bore, blocking the throttle from closing fully when it returns slowly.
"Goosing" the pedal is like slamming a door that sticks.

Sorry, not much help with the other problems.  I saturated the fiberboard air
deflector (on my former TR3A) with rattle-can paint (which took a lot more
coats than I thought it would, 6 or 7 as I recall) and it seemed to hold up
well.  But I don't drive in the rain much, so doesn't prove anything.

I've seen several people fashion replacements from thin aluminum, but of course
that doesn't look original (though it does look nice).

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive