Re: [TR] New TR2-4 manual available in PDF

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] New TR2-4 manual available in PDF
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:11:37 -0700
> Holy COW!  133meg file size?  My computer is still
> downloading it.   I suppose that size means each page is a
> scan, not optical character recognition?  It may be able to
> be reduced in size by using PNG file types for each page's
> image instead of JPG.  And each page should be 1 bit per
> pixel black and white, not grayscale.  That will reduce the
> file size by a factor of 8 compared to grayscale

Feel free to reprocess it as you see fit, and repost.

Just for grins, I tried converting all the scans to PNG and making another PDF
with them.  It was 157mb, even without OCR.

Converting to characters (OCR), with images only for the drawings and photos,
is a very real possibility and will greatly reduce the
size.  I've done that with other documents.  But it is a LOT of work,
especially if you try to keep the formatting something
reasonable (tables, titles, headings and bold type all tend to get lost) and
then proofreading is a pain as well.   I've already
spent far more time on this than it is worth to me, especially since I'm giving
away the result for free and hard drive prices are
down to somewhere around 4 _cents_ per gigabyte.

There's an old saying about a horse, but I think you know it <g>

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive