Re: [TR] TR gauge needle position

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR gauge needle position
From: Carl Sereda <carlsereda@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 03:45:48 -0400

------=_Part_346073_1261702730.1436168748062

Hi Dave,
I am wondering how you decided where to point your speedo and/or tach needle
when putting it back on the spindle.  When I was restoring my large TR4 gauges
I noticed that the needle, when at rest, sits on a piece of 'spring' wire that
protrudes through a hole on the face of dial. Then I noticed a tiny dot about
1/8" below and behind the O mark. I think that the speedo and tachs are
'preloaded'! To preload, you remove needle, let spindle find home. Push needle
onto spindle pointing right at that tiny white dot, which is less than zero.
Then depress rest needle wire rest and rotate needle above rest wire position
and release rest wire - now your needle rests on wire - with slight preloaded!
Makes perfect sense to me, although I have no proof of any of it!
Regards,
Carl '63 TR4 since '74

The only problem is that somehow the tach is running about 500 RPM
below what I think it should be. At idle, the needle just floats off the pin
from "0".

------=_Part_346073_1261702730.1436168748062

needle when putting it back on the spindle. &nbsp;When I was restoring my large
TR4 gauges I noticed that the needle, when at rest, sits on a piece of 'spring'
wire that protrudes through a hole on the face of dial. Then I noticed a tiny
dot about 1/8" below and behind the O mark. I think that the speedo and tachs
are '<span style="font-size: 10pt;">preloaded'! To preload, you remove needle,
let spindle find home. Push needle onto spindle pointing right at that tiny
white dot, which is less than zero. Then depress rest needle wire rest and
rotate needle above rest wire position and release rest wire - now your needle
rests on wire - with slight preloaded!</span></div>

no proof of any of it!</span></div>

style="border-left: 2px solid blue; padding-left: 3px;"><pre><tt>The only
problem is that somehow the tach is running about 500 RPM
below what I think it should be. At idle, the needle just floats off the pin

0px;font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;font-size: 12px;color:
#000;background-color: #fff;"><pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>
</tt></pre>
 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_95da31fb-f327-48b0-a77e-d01f96599e41 -->
------=_Part_346073_1261702730.1436168748062--

--===============3256093521337936704==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive