[TR] Fwd: Satisfying

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Fwd: Satisfying
From: Rye Livingston <ryel@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 07:15:39 +0000 (GMT)

--Boundary_(ID_DS+El8C/sKM9KB8AbMuB0g)

Speaking of driving, I just got back from an amazingly fun 100+ mile drive=
 which is held on Super Bowl Sunday, this was the 11th running. =C2=A0=0A=0A=
As many of you watching the game can see, we are having some great weather=
 in California Bay Area, so today was excellent. I'm including below my su=
mmary which I'll be submitting to our Triumph Travelers newsletter.=0A=0AN=
ow time to watch the game. =C2=A0Go Broncos!=0A=0ARye=0A=0AWow, wow, wow, =
what a fun drive! =C2=A0Great weather, amazing cars, fantastic roads. =C2=A0=
=0A=0ASuper Sunday Drive met up at Sea Bowl in Pacifica. =C2=A0We got ther=
e an hour early, 9am, and there were about 6 other cars there. =C2=A0We ha=
d the pleasure of watching these cool, 1980 and older, cars stream in for =
the next hour. =C2=A0Triumphs, BMW 2002s,=C2=A0Porsches: 356, 911, 912, 91=
4-6s, Spyder, Alpha Romeos, Ferraris, Jaguars, Corvettes, Bugeye Sprites, =
late 50s Oldsmobile 88, Chrysler 300 and Chevy Belair. Two 60s vintage Thu=
nderbirds, Citrons, Renaults, MGA, MGB, 1952 Land Rover, and the list goes=
 on. =C2=A0Around 70 cars and we all spent the next hour checking them out=
 and meeting people. =C2=A0Some cars were pristine, some were pretty beat =
but loved and driven hard. =C2=A0Was very cool=0A=0AWe were supposed to le=
ave at 10AM, and about 10:15 we were wondering if there was going to be an=
 air horn or a shotgun blast, but instead a couple of loud V8s started up =
with a roar, and everyone busted a move back to their car. =C2=A0Route dir=
ections had been left in our cars, and several drivers like me were drivin=
g solo, so we just followed the car in front. =C2=A0It was interesting as =
we all tried to get out of the parking lot, through the stoplight heading =
south on HWY 1, so that kind of metered everyone into groups that made it =
through the stoplight. =C2=A0I thought on a Sunday drive it would be slow =
going, oh contraire. =C2=A0Everyone else must have been going to the Super=
 Bowl because the roads were pretty clear and we were cruising right along=
 at or above the speed limit. =C2=A0A little slow going through Half Moon =
Bay, then it was some serious =E2=80=9Cpedal down=E2=80=9D as was bombed a=
long the coast in the sun with calm ocean views. =C2=A0It was spectacular.=
=0A=0AWe hung a left onto Stage Road for a windy excursion/short cut over =
to HWY 84 then up through La Honda up to Alice=E2=80=99s Restaurant. =C2=A0=
This is when I got an ear-to-ear grin. =C2=A0We were flying through those =
sweepy turns, and I look ahead and our pack of cars was led by a Sunbeam T=
iger, followed by a Hudson Hornet, a Bristol, two 60=E2=80=99s vintage Alp=
has, 69 911, another Alpha, a red TR3, then my TR3. =C2=A0Behind me was a =
Volvo, 914-6, some two more Alphas, a 60s Plymouth Barracuda convertible, =
and a Ferrari. =C2=A0How that Hudson and Bristol could go so fast I don=E2=
=80=99t know. =C2=A0I was going as fast as I wanted to.=0A=0ASome people s=
topped at Alice=E2=80=99s Restaurant for a pit stop but there wasn=E2=80=99=
t much parking room, so most of us turned onto Skyline Drive HWY 35 south =
and off we went. =C2=A0Once again little to no traffic so we were going at=
 or over the speed limit all the way down to Saratoga, turning right at HW=
Y 9 heading down to Boulder Creek. =C2=A0There was an option to turn left =
to Boulder Creek but the directions took us straight through Big Basin Sta=
te Park. =C2=A0Very narrow roads and we all got bunched up and speeds were=
 appropriately low, and it was great to look at all the cool cars ahead an=
d behind me.=0A=0AAs we rolled into Big Basin State Park, most of us neede=
d a pit stop. =C2=A0Amazingly as we were in the bathroom line, all the Tra=
velers met up again. =C2=A0Steve Homer, Paul Henderson and his daughter En=
ee, Craig McAmis, and we saw the Bergmans parked across the street. =C2=A0=
After our break we drove another 15 mins or so to Boulder Creek which had =
cool cars parked everywhere. =C2=A0We got lunch at a little sandwich shop =
and sat out side in the hot sun, checking out all the cars that were done =
with lunch and heading out, or still coming into town.=0A=0AThe mix of car=
s was incredible. =C2=A0The weather was spectacular. =C2=A0The route was f=
antastic. =C2=A0And all the Triumphs ran great! =C2=A0It doesn=E2=80=99t g=
et much better than this. =C2=A0I=E2=80=99ll be on this drive again next S=
uper Bowl Sunday.=0A=0ARye=0AActivities Chairman=0A1960 TR3A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=
On Feb 07, 2016, at 02:31 PM, dave n <dave@ranteer.com> wrote:=0A=0Asome o=
f us get to drive the cars pretty much year round . . .=0A=0Aand, we get t=
o do maintenance, pretty much year round . . .=0A=0Asame joys and frustrat=
ions, I think. although I couldn't imagine having to =0Abed my car for the=
 winter!=0A=0A-----Original Message----- =0AFrom: terryrs@comcast.net=0ASe=
nt: Sunday, February 7, 2016 4:22 PM=0ATo: triumphs@autox.team.net=0ASubje=
ct: [TR] Satisfying=0A=0ASomething eminently satisfying about winter maint=
enance. During the driving =0Aseason, irritants pop up, ignored whenever p=
ossible during the joy of it =0Aall. But winter...that's when they get sor=
ted.=0A=0AThe needle that fell off the speedometer last spring? Fixed.=0AT=
he dim yellow lights that illuminated the speedo and tach, replaced by =0A=
amazing LED's.=0AThe clutch that slipped. Replaced.=0AThe soft clutch peda=
l, replaced with a much less used pressure plate...it'll =0Achange the who=
le feel of driving, I'm thinking.=0A=0AThen there's the usual oil change, =
greasing, wheel-bearing packing, fluif =0Atopoffs.=0A=0AI know people can =
love these cars and enjoy driving them without ever doing =0Atheir own wor=
k, and that's as good as anything else. But for me, =0Apersonally, there's=
 something amazing about squeezing an extra two spurts of =0Agrease into a=
 zerk that you had no idea was quite so dry as all that. And =0Atesting th=
e instrument panel when you've transitioned from filament to LED, =0Aand s=
eeing it shine brighter than ever, brighter white than I even thought =0Ap=
ossible. Watching the guy at Quantum Mechanics fish a broken tooth out of =
=0Amy transmission. Draining the oil and putting a fresh WIX filter and ne=
w =0Aoil in while not seeing any metal shavings around the magnet in the d=
rain =0Aplug.=0A=0AI joke about engineers and English majors here. But in =
these moments, I =0Aknow why you do what you do. Or at least a bit of it. =
And I find it =0Agratifying. In fact, if it weren't complicated, I might d=
o it too.=0A=0ANow, with luck, I won't have any irritating bugs this comin=
g driving season =0Aso I don't have so much to fix next winter!=0A=0ATerry=
 Smith, '59 TR3A=0ANew Hampshire =0A=0A=0A** triumphs@autox.team.net **=0A=
=0ADonate: http://www.team.net/donate.html=0AArchive: http://www.team.net/=
autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ryel@mac.com=0A=

--Boundary_(ID_DS+El8C/sKM9KB8AbMuB0g)
 boundary="Boundary_(ID_/Vx7eTUhkR9KlWPEQ/DaNQ)"; type="text/html"

--Boundary_(ID_/Vx7eTUhkR9KlWPEQ/DaNQ)

100+ mile =
drive which is held on Super Bowl Sunday, this was the 11th running. &nbsp=
e game can see, we are having some great weather in California Bay Area, s=
o today was excellent. I'm including below my summary which I'll be submit=
ting to our Triumph Travelers newsletter.</div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"=
iv><div>Wow, wow, wow, what a fun drive! &nbsp;Great weather, amazing cars=
per Sunday Drive met up at Sea Bowl in Pacifica. &nbsp;We got there an hou=
r early, 9am, and there were about 6 other cars there. &nbsp;We had the pl=
easure of watching these cool, 1980 and older, cars stream in for the next=
 hour. &nbsp;Triumphs, BMW 2002s,&nbsp;Porsches: 356, 911, 912, 914-6s, Sp=
yder, Alpha Romeos, Ferraris, Jaguars, Corvettes, Bugeye Sprites, late 50s=
 Oldsmobile 88, Chrysler 300 and Chevy Belair. Two 60s vintage Thunderbird=
s, Citrons, Renaults, MGA, MGB, 1952 Land Rover, and the list goes on. &nb=
sp;Around 70 cars and we all spent the next hour checking them out and mee=
ting people. &nbsp;Some cars were pristine, some were pretty beat but love=
ering if there was going to be an air horn or a shotgun blast, but instead=
 a couple of loud V8s started up with a roar, and everyone busted a move b=
ack to their car. &nbsp;Route directions had been left in our cars, and se=
veral drivers like me were driving solo, so we just followed the car in fr=
ont. &nbsp;It was interesting as we all tried to get out of the parking lo=
t, through the stoplight heading south on HWY 1, so that kind of metered e=
veryone into groups that made it through the stoplight. &nbsp;I thought on=
 a Sunday drive it would be slow going, oh contraire. &nbsp;Everyone else =
must have been going to the Super Bowl because the roads were pretty clear=
 and we were cruising right along at or above the speed limit. &nbsp;A lit=
tle slow going through Half Moon Bay, then it was some serious =E2=80=9Cpe=
dal down=E2=80=9D as was bombed along the coast in the sun with calm ocean=
to HWY 84 then up through La Honda up to Alice=E2=80=99s Restaurant. &nbsp=
;This is when I got an ear-to-ear grin. &nbsp;We were flying through those=
 sweepy turns, and I look ahead and our pack of cars was led by a Sunbeam =
Tiger, followed by a Hudson Hornet, a Bristol, two 60=E2=80=99s vintage Al=
phas, 69 911, another Alpha, a red TR3, then my TR3. &nbsp;Behind me was a=
 Volvo, 914-6, some two more Alphas, a 60s Plymouth Barracuda convertible,=
 and a Ferrari. &nbsp;How that Hudson and Bristol could go so fast I don=E2=
=80=99t know. &nbsp;I was going as fast as I wanted to.</div><div><br data=
-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>Some people stopped at Alice=E2=80=99s Restaur=
ant for a pit stop but there wasn=E2=80=99t much parking room, so most of =
us turned onto Skyline Drive HWY 35 south and off we went. &nbsp;Once agai=
n little to no traffic so we were going at or over the speed limit all the=
 way down to Saratoga, turning right at HWY 9 heading down to Boulder Cree=
k. &nbsp;There was an option to turn left to Boulder Creek but the directi=
ons took us straight through Big Basin State Park. &nbsp;Very narrow roads=
 and we all got bunched up and speeds were appropriately low, and it was g=
reat to look at all the cool cars ahead and behind me.</div><div><br data-=
mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>As we rolled into Big Basin State Park, most of=
 us needed a pit stop. &nbsp;Amazingly as we were in the bathroom line, al=
l the Travelers met up again. &nbsp;Steve Homer, Paul Henderson and his da=
ughter Enee, Craig McAmis, and we saw the Bergmans parked across the stree=
t. &nbsp;After our break we drove another 15 mins or so to Boulder Creek w=
hich had cool cars parked everywhere. &nbsp;We got lunch at a little sandw=
ich shop and sat out side in the hot sun, checking out all the cars that w=
ere done with lunch and heading out, or still coming into town.</div><div>=
The weather was spectacular. &nbsp;The route was fantastic. &nbsp;And all =
the Triumphs ran great! &nbsp;It doesn=E2=80=99t get much better than this=
. &nbsp;I=E2=80=99ll be on this drive again next Super Bowl Sunday.</div><=
ce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>On Feb 07, 2016, at 02:31 PM, dave n &lt;dave@ra=
iv class=3D"_stretch"><span class=3D"body-text-content">some of us get to =
drive the cars pretty much year round . . .<br><br>and, we get to do maint=
enance, pretty much year round . . .<br><br>same joys and frustrations, I =
think. although I couldn't imagine having to <br>bed my car for the winter=
mcast.net" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:terryrs@comcast.net";>terryrs@comcast.ne=
riumphs@autox.team.net" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>t=
inently satisfying about winter maintenance. During the driving <br>season=
, irritants pop up, ignored whenever possible during the joy of it <br>all=
. But winter...that's when they get sorted.<br><br>The needle that fell of=
f the speedometer last spring? Fixed.<br>The dim yellow lights that illumi=
nated the speedo and tach, replaced by <br>amazing LED's.<br>The clutch th=
at slipped. Replaced.<br>The soft clutch pedal, replaced with a much less =
used pressure plate...it'll <br>change the whole feel of driving, I'm thin=
king.<br><br>Then there's the usual oil change, greasing, wheel-bearing pa=
oy driving them without ever doing <br>their own work, and that's as good =
as anything else. But for me, <br>personally, there's something amazing ab=
out squeezing an extra two spurts of <br>grease into a zerk that you had n=
o idea was quite so dry as all that. And <br>testing the instrument panel =
when you've transitioned from filament to LED, <br>and seeing it shine bri=
ghter than ever, brighter white than I even thought <br>possible. Watching=
 the guy at Quantum Mechanics fish a broken tooth out of <br>my transmissi=
on. Draining the oil and putting a fresh WIX filter and new <br>oil in whi=
le not seeing any metal shavings around the magnet in the drain <br>plug.<=
br><br>I joke about engineers and English majors here. But in these moment=
s, I <br>know why you do what you do. Or at least a bit of it. And I find =
it <br>gratifying. In fact, if it weren't complicated, I might do it too.<=
br><br>Now, with luck, I won't have any irritating bugs this coming drivin=
ox.team.net" data-mce-href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@aut=
ml" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/=
donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; data-m=
ce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a><br=