[TR] Non-LBC - but car related

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Non-LBC - but car related
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@indiefilmnet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 12:49:00 -0400
I am working on my 2006 Cadillac DTS.

When I retrieved it where it had been hidden for 2 years, I discovered that the
power-steering return line had rusted through. The return line is actually an
insane zig-zag of metal tubing and rubber pipes clamped together running around
the base of the engine bay.

I managed to get the old part out in three pieces by cutting the hose parts.
From what I can find online, GM dealer instructions drop the entire motor
sub-frame to replace the part! Yeah well, that's not going to happen.

The part I bought has small crimp clamps (Oetiker) holding the hose to the
metal piping. Can I just remove two of the clamps and then replace them with
stainless Jubilee clamps (worm screw)after putting the part in place in
sections?

i.e. How much pressure is there on the return line of the power steering? It
looks like not much, but it sure leaked out fast enough.

Follow-up question: Why does the return line seem to go out of its way to
parallel the exhaust manifold an inch or so away for 8" and then come back to
position for returning to the p/s pump? Is it some sort of oil warming trick
for the winter, or did the engineer's arm get jogged while drawing the design?

Mark Hooper
72 TR6

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive