Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 9, Issue 87

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 9, Issue 87
From: Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 06:30:52 -0400
The story that water can flow "too fast" through the radiator never made sense
to me.   I suspect that the story refers to changes in the flow
characteristics, not specifically to the rate.  It may be that at a certain
point flow becomes turbulent instead of laminar, and maybe that is a problem
either in the engine or the radiator.

But all else being equal, you get more flow of heat energy with a bigger
temperature difference between the hot and cold sides.  So in general, higher
flow rates will result in higher heat transfer to the air.

The heat transferred per liter of pumped fluid is less at higher flow because
the exiting fluid is warmer than the low flow situation.  But you have more
liters per minute, so you transfer more heat per minute.

In most situations, the actual flow through the radiator will be identical for
both a standard and high flow thermostat.   It is able to regulate the engine
temperature just fine.  But if the stock thermostat is  wide open because
engine temperature is above the regulated temperature, then the high flow
thermostat will allow a bit better flow and maybe better cooling.

However, as has been said, originally the cooling system was good enough to
keep the engine cool in all situations.  (Possibly not completely true!!).
So, if the cooling ability is no longer good enough, then the problem is not
the properly functioning standard thermostat.  It is that the block can't heat
the coolant properly, or that the radiator can't cool the fluid properly.

-Tony

Sent from my IMSAI 8080

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive