Re: [TR] An electrical query

To: John Macartney <john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [TR] An electrical query
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 09:15:59 -0500
Cc: Truiumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>

--94eb2c089e1c370442053b86f80d

You are spot on about the 12v output form your generator not being intended
to charge a lead acid battery.  Just hook your trickle charger up to your
230v generator output, and you will be all set.  Solar cells will work,
slowly.  to charge a 100amp battery from a 60w solar cell is going to
require a long period of very direct sunlight.

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 7:50 AM, John Macartney <john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk

--
=================================
= Never offend people with style when you   =

--94eb2c089e1c370442053b86f80d

ot being intended to charge a lead acid battery.=C2=A0 Just hook your trick=
le charger up to your 230v generator output, and you will be all set.=C2=A0=
 Solar cells will work, slowly.=C2=A0 to charge a 100amp battery from a 60w=
 solar cell is going to require a long period of very direct sunlight.<br><=
2, 2016 at 7:50 AM, John Macartney <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk" target=3D"_blank">john.macartney@ukpips.org.u=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi, Listers<br>
There are lots of you out there with far more electrical know-how than me<b=
r>
and I&#39;d really appreciate your input - even though my question has noth=
ing<br>
whatsoever to do with Triumphs, apart from getting in the name on this post=
.<br>
Liz and I often use our trailer home in the UK at locations where there is<=
br>
no mains electrical supply and so are totally dependent on the 115amp<br>
leisure battery in our caravan. As Liz has a medical condition which<br>
requires daily use of a mains operated nebuliser for prolonged periods, I<b=
r>
recently bought an 800w inverter generator that cranks out 230v and also ha=
s<br>
a separate 12v plug and lead with crocodile clips for &#39;battery charging=
&#39;.<br>
Nebulising probs are thankfully now=C2=A0 a thing of the past but the thing=
 is,<br>
even after running the genny for about 6 hours, my leisure battery was less=
than half charged from the 12v outlet, wouldn&#39;t take any more and stubb=
ornly<br>
stayed stuck at 12.33 volts. Fully charged, the reading should be around<br=

14.4v. I&#39;ve since decided the 12v supply isn&#39;t really suited to bat=
tery<br>
charging and is more for running a 12v TV or other trailer home accessory.<=
br>
As we enjoy going to &#39;more remote&#39; locations than popular ones wher=
e 230v<br>
mains supplies are the norm, I&#39;m still faced with a battery charging<br=

problem. It occurs to me that a way round this is to put my little but very=
trusty mains battery trickle charger (runs at about 4 amps) on the 230v<br>
outlet and see if this will work? However, I&#39;m just a bit cautious this=
route might have some kind of corrupting influence inside either the<br>
generator circuitry or the charger - or both. Anyone BTDT and can advise? I=
carefully considered folding solar panels as an alternative re-charge sourc=
e<br>
but good ones in the UK cost about $600 and that likely payback is longer<b=
r>
than I can financially accommodate.<br>
All replies (off list) will be greatly welcomed.<br>
Cheers, Jonmac<br>
---<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> *=
*<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
hs/jdinnis@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.tea=
nature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<br>=
=3D Never offend people with style when you=C2=A0=C2=A0 =3D<br>=3D can offe=
nd with substance --- Sam Brown=C2=A0 =3D<br>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</div>

--94eb2c089e1c370442053b86f80d--

--===============2523601466017228948==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive