[TR] Subject: An electrical query

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, John Macartney <flywheelcoventry1@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: [TR] Subject: An electrical query
From: Bob Peglow <rpeglow@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 09:51:42 -0400 (EDT)
Authentication-results: mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net smtp.user=rpeglow; auth=pass (LOGIN) a=LcPwv2U1YBVzQKURDVJiQg==:117 a=LcPwv2U1YBVzQKURDVJiQg==:17 a=L9H7d07YOLsA:10 a=9cW_t1CCXrUA:10 a=s5jvgZ67dGcA:10 a=+GGgEctla0Atsv6V580Pc7StXZc=:19 a=Hli41eb7cOoA:10 a=GW1xBdLrtEIA:10 a=tD7YFuKwAAAA:8 a=5N3W8UtZt_n_RbjNW1YA:9 a=Il619Y8tXacdVp-J:21 a=YS1Lr7gTdbguyaZy:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=Sv6Nh_laJ10EOQGQewwA:9 a=Pwrk-qFbuZuTgp_l:21 a=g0j3mf5ZtAtD25j-NqdV:22

------=_Part_2940678_1783511316.1472910702048

=C2=A0Hello John/List,
This perfect timing. Big storm coming my way it's a good time to test my=20
generator.
I setup up the generator on a very old battery that has been sitting for=20
a long time. The voltage reading was12.4V. With the Honda EU2000i=20
attached and running the voltage reading went right to 14.54V and in 10=20
minutes the voltage went to 14.85V. That's why manual cautions to check=20
voltage frequently.
As I said in an earlier email:
In the manual for my Honda Inverter Generator it says:
"The DC receptacle should ONLY be used for charging 12 volt automotive=20
batteries. The DC charging output is not regulated. Check the battery=20
voltage frequently while charging to prevent overcharging the battery"
I suppose all generators are not the same or yours may have a defect.
I hope this helps John.
Regards,
Bob
>    8. An electrical query (John Macartney)
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 13:50:05 +0100
> From: "John Macartney" To: Subject: [TR] An electrical query
>
> Hi, Listers
>
> There are lots of you out there with far more electrical know-how than=20
> me
> and I'd really appreciate your input - even though my question has=20
> nothing
> whatsoever to do with Triumphs, apart from getting in the name on this=20
> post.
>
> Liz and I often use our trailer home in the UK at locations where=20
> there is
> no mains electrical supply and so are totally dependent on the 115amp
> leisure battery in our caravan. As Liz has a medical condition which
> requires daily use of a mains operated nebuliser for prolonged=20
> periods, I
> recently bought an 800w inverter generator that cranks out 230v and=20
> also has
> a separate 12v plug and lead with crocodile clips for 'battery=20
> charging'.
> Nebulising probs are thankfully now  a thing of the past but the thing=20
> is,
> even after running the genny for about 6 hours, my leisure battery was=20
> less
> than half charged from the 12v outlet, wouldn't take any more and=20
> stubbornly
> stayed stuck at 12.33 volts. Fully charged, the reading should be=20
> around
> 14.4v. I've since decided the 12v supply isn't really suited to=20
> battery
> charging and is more for running a 12v TV or other trailer home=20
> accessory.
>
> As we enjoy going to 'more remote' locations than popular ones where=20
> 230v
> mains supplies are the norm, I'm still faced with a battery charging
> problem. It occurs to me that a way round this is to put my little but=20
> very
> trusty mains battery trickle charger (runs at about 4 amps) on the=20
> 230v
> outlet and see if this will work? However, I'm just a bit cautious=20
> this
> route might have some kind of corrupting influence inside either the
> generator circuitry or the charger - or both. Anyone BTDT and can=20
> advise? I
> carefully considered folding solar panels as an alternative re-charge=20
> source
> but good ones in the UK cost about $600 and that likely payback is=20
> longer
> than I can financially accommodate.
>
> All replies (off list) will be greatly welcomed.
>
> Cheers, Jonmac
=C2=A0

------=_Part_2940678_1783511316.1472910702048

&nbsp;Hello John/List,<br>This perfect timing. Big storm coming my way it's=
 a good time to test my generator.<br>I setup up the generator on a very ol=
d battery that has been sitting for a long time. The voltage reading was12.=
4V. With the Honda EU2000i attached and running the voltage reading went ri=
ght to 14.54V and in 10 minutes the voltage went to 14.85V. That's why manu=