Re: [TR] out of the box

To: Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr@gmail.com>,John Summers <rivers2hills@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] out of the box
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com> mail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 16:02:45 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

While I don't discount a well made hoist, I'd vote for the &quot;enlist a
friend or two&quot; approach.&nbsp; A reasonably strong dude can lift the
tranny out.&nbsp; Putting it back it helps to have someone laying under
the car helping to guide the front of the tranny as well as someone
inside the car.<br><br>
Have done it at the track in a TR4 a few times.&nbsp; Not the most fun
job, but very doable with two reasonably strong people.<br><br>
Regards, Tony<br><br>
At 09:14 AM 9/10/2016, Geo Hahn wrote:<br>
hoist someone made to R&amp;R the gearbox.=C2&nbsp; The tricky bit was
dealing with the center of gravity which is well forward of the scuttle -
required an arrangement of multiple bars and chains as I recall.<br><br>
Looks like a lot of work to me but an elegant solution
nonetheless.<br><br>
Geo<br><br>
On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 7:26 PM, John Summers
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rivers2hills@yahoo.com";>rivers2hills@yahoo.com</a>
&gt; wrote:<br>

<dl>
<dd>I gather from many replies concerning my TR6s inability to go in
gear=C2 <br>

<dd>that the transmission has to come out for the clutch fork or pins
to<br>

<dd>be replaced.<br>

<dd>Never being a person to exercise sound judgement OR mechanical<br>

<dd>skill, I'm considering making an apparatus to put over the car to
hoist<br>

<dd>said transmission from the car.=C2&nbsp; I have the Bentley service
manual and<br>

<dd>of course it seems to simplify the process. Out/In voila, all
fixed.<br>

<dd>Friends, this comes from a 67 year old guy who took two months<br>

<dd>to R&amp;R the clutch MC and slave cylinders and a week to get them
bled.<br>

<dd>ONLY to find the darned thing wouldn't go into gear.=C2&nbsp; That
wiped out<br>

<dd>top down journeys last spring and summer.=C2&nbsp; I have seen plans
and<br>

<dd>a video or two on building your own hoist.=C2&nbsp; Not soon
though,<br>

<dd>we only have $3.00 in our bank account to live until
Wednesday:))<br>

<dd>BUT, there IS a dumpster down the street full of lumber.=C2&nbsp; Wish
me luck!!<br><br>

<dd>**
**<br><br>

<dd>Donate: