Re: [TR] TR2 quick release seats

To: Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>, list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2 quick release seats
From: "Reihing, Randall S." <Randall.Reihing@utoledo.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 13:50:01 +0000
Accept-language: en-US

--_000_5DF59F06A5E05E47A21C0E72057265D901BFAA4D68msgdb11utadut_

Chris,

Like many others have done I have driven my TR3A on long trips, the longest=
 once being in early spring from Toledo to Daytona and back, around 2200 mi=
les roundtrip but with several hundred more while at Daytona itself, passin=
g from snow and slush, through steady rain and windy thunderstorms to the s=
unny and warm sands of Daytona Beach itself.

So, how did we keep the car clean?

The side curtains fit really well and we never got wet. At Daytona the car =
was easy to clean. It had Triumph rubber floor mats, no carpet under the se=
ats, and the only carpet was on the transmission tunnel and the inclined ar=
ea behind the seats. Nothing on the floor itself. I had cleaned and painted=
 the floorboards with automotive primer and black paint. At the car wash we=
 pulled out the rubber floor mats and vacuumed the interior, including unde=
r the seats. No problem and the car was clean. When I first obtained the ca=
r it had carpet with sound absorbent material under it, on the floorboards =
and under the seats. It looked very nice but like you I was concerned about=
 wet conditions and the sand we would inevitably track into the car at Dayt=
ona so the floorboard carpet was removed and replaced with Triumph rubber f=
loor mats. It worked so well and there was not enough difference in the noi=
se level to warrant reinstalling them. It is still that way.

The car is a rust free CA TR3A, originally imported, sold and owned in San =
Diego. In the mid 70's it made it's way through Yellowstone National Park t=
o Ripon, WI, and then to the Toledo, Ohio, area where it now resides in my =
garage.

I have never had an issue with rain making me, my passenger, or  the interi=
or wet in driving through rain. While the rubber floor mats do make it easy=
 to clean, I also have a set of carpets for the floorboards, held in place =
with firewall clips that fit under the seats if installed. To date I have n=
ot done that but am considering it since we no longer take long trips in th=
e TR3A preferring day trips now, only in good weather with dry roads. If I =
do that I would still use the rubber floor mats over the carpets. However, =
if we were to embark on another long distance journey in the TR3A it would =
be with no carpet under the seats or on the floorboards and the rubber floo=
r mats in their place.

Randall Reihing