Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox and starter motor

To: "'Frank Fisher'" <yellowtr3@yahoo.com>, "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 gearbox and starter motor
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 22:15:35 -0700
> we are not changing flywheels or the high torque starter.
> before i bolt this back in, do you foresee any problems?

The early tunnel will rub on the larger starter bulge.  You'll want to do
some massaging of the sheet metal to avoid that.  Or I believe a later
tunnel would fit if you have one (but you'd lose the hole for the dipstick).

The later gearbox also won't have the dipstick, which I find to be a nice
feature.  You might want to consider using the early top cover to keep the
dipstick.  It should fit the later 3A gearbox with no changes.

> do i recall the pin that holds the throw out bearing fork to
> the shaft went into a hole in the early cars but just snugged
> up to a flat on the later cars?

I don't think so; but maybe I'm not clear on what you are asking.  The pin
is tapered, the taper fits tightly into a matching tapered hole in the shaft
on all TR2-TR6.  It doesn't touch the flat (if any); the only contact with
the fork is the threads.

While it's apart, I suggest adding a 1/4" bolt to reinforce that joint.
Assemble the fork to the shaft outside the gearbox (make sure you turn it
the right way), then drill a hole slightly smaller than 1/4" through both
fork and shaft.  Disassemble, install the fork and shaft into the gearbox as
usual, then tap the 1/4" bolt into the hole.  Put a nut on finger-tight,
then cut off the protruding end of the bolt so it doesn't foul on the
gearbox.  Add some Loctite and torque the nut.  See
https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/s/Clutch-Shaft.pdf
For more info as well as alternate suggestions.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **