Re: [TR] Propshaft

To: William Smith <smithw1@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Propshaft
From: Sujit Roy <triumphstag@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 23:27:27 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--00000000000075441c058b2ea08f

Hello Bill. The cv jointed one sounds good but as u mention once the boot
splits and grit gets in ur left to get another shaft. I'm hoping my one of
my kids takes the stag and works on it so I may opt for the uj type so a
replacement uj will be much cheaper.

 I recall Rimmer Bros bought Rover 3500 sdi parts out of India. The car was
called Standard 2000 out there. They where partial knock down kits I think.
But used a Japanese engine and under powered

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, 7:25 PM William Smith <smithw1@optonline.net> wrote:

> While my experience relates to a TR7, it may apply to a Stag also. The
> stock TR7 with 5-speed used a propshaft with CV joints. These CV joints
> have donut shaped diaphragm rubber seals that can tear/degenerate. That
> happened to my TR7 with only about 25k miles on it. All the grease was
> expelled from the front CV joint, making a mess and it started making tin
> can rattling sounds upon heavy acceleration.
> Since Rimmer shows a "new" propshaft in their catalog and on their
> website, I decided to order one. When I received it, it was in worse
> condition than the one I was replacing.  When I contacted them about it,
> they told me it was NOS/"new" old stock" and that if they sent me another
> one, it would probably be in just as bad condition. To their credit, they
> refunded my money after returning it to their U.S. representative. BTW, I
> don't know if it is true, but someone had mentioned that Rimmer had bought
> a large batch of NOS parts from some company in India which had been
> sitting in the sun in non-climate containers for many years. In the end, I
> purchased a brand new propshaft that uses universal joints. So far I've
> been very happy with it - no leaking grease and no more rattles.
> FWIW, I still deal with Rimmer and have been generally happy with their
> products and service. I chalk this propshaft experience with them as an
> aberration.
> Bill Smith
> '72 TR6
> '80 TR7

--00000000000075441c058b2ea08f

on once the boot splits and grit gets in ur left to get another shaft. I&#3=
9;m hoping my one of my kids takes the stag and works on it so I may opt fo=
r the uj type so a replacement uj will be much cheaper.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"au=
0 sdi parts out of India. The car was called Standard 2000 out there. They =
where partial knock down kits I think. But used a Japanese engine and under=
lass=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, 7:25 PM William Smith &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:smithw1@optonline.net";>smithw1@optonline.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br><=
/div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-le=
le my experience relates to a TR7, it may apply to a Stag also. The stock T=
R7 with 5-speed used a propshaft with CV joints. These CV joints have donut=
 shaped diaphragm rubber seals that can tear/degenerate. That happened to m=
y TR7 with only about 25k miles on it. All the grease was expelled from the=
 front CV joint, making a mess and it started making tin can rattling sound=
>Since Rimmer shows a &quot;new&quot; propshaft in their catalog and on the=
ir website, I decided to order one. When I received it, it was in worse con=
dition than the one I was replacing.=C2=A0 When I contacted them about it, =
they told me it was NOS/&quot;new&quot; old stock&quot; and that if they se=
nt me another one, it would probably be in just as bad condition. To their =
credit, they refunded my money after returning it to their U.S. representat=
ive. BTW, I don&#39;t know if it is true, but someone had mentioned that Ri=
mmer had bought a large batch of NOS parts from some company in India which=
 had been sitting in the sun in non-climate containers for many years. In t=
he end, I purchased a brand new propshaft that uses universal joints. So fa=
r I&#39;ve been very happy with it - no leaking grease and no more rattles.=
and have been generally happy with their products and service. I chalk this=
yle=3D"font-size:85%;color:#575757" dir=3D"auto">Sent from my Verizon, Sams=

--00000000000075441c058b2ea08f--

--===============4725774694814210761==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============4725774694814210761==--