Re: [TR] [Fot] TR-2/3 Starter Question

To: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] [Fot] TR-2/3 Starter Question
From: "Wbeech@flash.net" <wbeech@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 20:23:38 -0500
Cc: Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, Jack Wheeler <jwheeler1947@yahoo.com>
Randall,
Isnâ??t the part he needs called a â??sleeve assemblyâ?? and in the Moss
catalogue 549-580 at $30?   It has been several years but I recall buying this
when I rebuilt the starter for TS30766L.   Served me well after that, stock
motor rebuild.
Bill

Cactus Jack drinks coffee black......BWS

> On Oct 17, 2019, at 7:21 PM, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

It has been awhile, but I've had those early starters apart many times.

In the attached diagram, you pull away the collar, A, then pry the retaining
ring B out of it's groove.  Then you have to work retaining ring C out of
the pinion barrel D.  With it removed, the pinion & barrel should just slide
off, exposing the Bendix drive inside.

I've not asked recently, but my FLAPS used to be able to send those old
starters out to be rebuilt.  Quoted turnaround was 1 week, but I never tried
it.  Wouldn't let me talk to the rebuilder directly, though.

Frankly, I got disgusted and installed a gear-drive starter instead.  After
10 years of near-daily usage, it did need new bearings and the brushes were
about half gone, but I still think it's better.  For one thing, it doesn't
have the "bonded rubber" drive that seems to fail quite often trying to
crank a high compression engine.

BFE used to sell a "fail safe" replacement for the rubber drive, but I think
I got the last one many years ago and Ken said he wasn't having any more
made.  The current proprietor of BFE probably doesn't know anything about
them.

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild

<M17 Fig 20 starter drive.jpg>
** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html