Re: [TR] Gasket sealant for sump

To: "'Dean Mericas'" <dmericas@gmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Gasket sealant for sump
From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <aljlthomson@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 06:54:57 -0400
I have used Permatex Ultra Black on a number of occasions and have had good
luck. Disassembly of items cemented together with this product can be
challenging, though. Maybe I should try the "ultra-gray". I find things work
best if you can insert a couple of studs into the larger half of whatever is
being assembled so that the attached item goes on straight, without any
sideways movement. I have found that large gaskets for tractor transmission
castings have gotten really expensive ($50 plus) and then sometimes they either
come damaged from shipping, crack & break when being installed, or holes don't
line up properly for bolts. As a result, I tend to use the "gasket-in-a-tube"
approach more than ever. Sometimes I find it challenging to decide what product
to buy - there are so many.

Alex Thomson