Re: [TR] TR3 Pistons

To: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>, "Triumphs (triumphs@autox.team.net)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Pistons
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 19:04:43 -0600

--------------9CD4124D05697650EF25C427

On 5/24/2020 6:35 PM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> What is the difference in weight between he pistons (and rods)?  What
> is the difference in size?

In a way, this is a "how big is an orange?" question.  So, the correct
answer is probably, "smaller than a grapefruit and bigger than a
grape."  The dimensions and weights will change from engine to engine,
and in the case of aftermarket parts, from manufacturer to
manufacturer.  The other issue is the /relative/ ratio between the two
parts.  In general, I'd say that pistons are lighter than rods, simply
because of the materials from which they're constructed, but, beyond
that, the devil's in the details.  Forged pistons are generally heavier
than cast ones, because forgings are slightly denser and intended for
more severe duty.  Full skirts are heavier than split skirts. Rods have
a fairly large range of weights, because the construction varies so
much.  H-section, I-section, etc., change the weights a good deal.

If I were to say, "rods are one-third heavier than pistons," or, "rods
are one-third longer than pistons," that might be true in some very
general way, but, it's not very helpful. :)

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

--------------9CD4124D05697650EF25C427

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAO8Q7CNMZnFYbYetbYjmuJLvcw58SdQcQjquqdvSKM-ViWKntw@mail.gmail.com">
        pistons (and rods)?  What is the difference in size?</div>
      correct answer is probably, "smaller than a grapefruit and bigger
      than a grape."  The dimensions and weights will change from engine
      to engine, and in the case of aftermarket parts, from manufacturer
      to manufacturer.  The other issue is the <i>relative</i> ratio
      between the two parts.  In general, I'd say that pistons are
      lighter than rods, simply because of the materials from which
      they're constructed, but, beyond that, the devil's in the
      details.  Forged pistons are generally heavier than cast ones,
      because forgings are slightly denser and intended for more severe
      duty.  Full skirts are heavier than split skirts. Rods have a
      fairly large range of weights, because the construction varies so
      much.  H-section, I-section, etc., change the weights a good deal.</p>
      "rods are one-third longer than pistons," that might be true in
      some very general way, but, it's not very helpful. :)</p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....</pre>

--------------9CD4124D05697650EF25C427--

--===============5772870733734600548==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **