Re: [TR] Timing cover leak

To: "Glenn A. Merrell" <controls@freelanceconsulting.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Timing cover leak
From: bill beecher <notakitcar@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 20:14:18 -0500
Cc: Randall <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Thanks Glenn,
I use the Permatex PTFE Teflon thread sealer in all of the liquid sealing
applications.
Bill

#dontkillgrandma

On Jul 28, 2020, at 6:54 PM, Glenn A. Merrell
<controls@freelanceconsulting.net> wrote:

One practice I learned on my Rover V8 and Stag V8 jobs was to always use
some sort of liquid thread sealer on the bolt threads on an engine -
excepting head to exhaust manifold and spark plug threads which I use a MIL
spec conducting molybdenum antiseize, and the special Stag head studs also
get coated with the MIL spec moly.

For the Rover engines, a Teflon thread sealer is recommended on all engine
bolts as both a thread lubricant into aluminum but also as a sealer as most
of the holes go into an oil or water gallery.

The practice also works well in cast iron blocks and heads and is a simple
step after the very important step of chasing each hole with a bottoming tap
and blowing it out with air, to then lightly coat the threads with a Teflon
thread sealer.  I have found that the areas in Triumph Blocks recommending
fiber or copper sealing washers perform much better with a liquid Teflon
thread sealant added to the threads.

Glenn aka StagByTriumph