Re: [TR] Grade 2 lock nuts

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Grade 2 lock nuts
From: Greg Donovan <greg@gregoryd.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 11:06:07 -0400
A related by different question:

My instinct here, almost always, would be to err on the side of higher grades.
Rated for 2, put a 3 on.

One disadvantage with this approach is cost: higher grades, more money.

Other than higher cost, are there other disadvantages to using a higher grade
than absolutely needed?

Are there situations where the lower grade is preferable? E.g., if something's
going to fail under stress, youâ??d rather it be a grade 2 bolt than the
expensive component itâ??s securing.

â??Greg

> On May 14, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Nick Black <vintagenick42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I believe that the usual nuts and bolts on a TR are equivalent to grade 5 or
> so and they may have been higher grade in this application.
> Grade 2 seems a bit â??wimpyâ?? here. I would not use such a soft nut
> especially in this application. Also, do not use â??standardâ?? bolts here as
> the flanges need to ride on the shank of the bolt, not on the tread. Either
> buy the correct bolt and nut or use  NAS bolts and grade 8 locknuts.
>
> Of course I may be a little â??nutsâ?? myself...
> Nick in NorCal

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html

Unsubscribe/Manage: