Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate

To: "Blake J. Discher" <bdischer.lists@blakedischer.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] F/S: Laycock 'J Type' overdrive, shaft, plate
From: Sujit Roy <triumphstag@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:29:46 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--000000000000102be305dbc5e0ef

I remember the late Randall Young converting one from a Volvo for Stag. I
can't recall  the details. But it seemed a bit of work for a lay person.
The Stag uses  basically the same used on most Triumphs.  There are a
couple of gears for speedo which are unique for speedo calibration.  The
shaft is difficult to source at a reasonable price here in USA.

On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher <
bdischer.lists@blakedischer.com> wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I've been on the list many years, learned a ton, envy the experts both
> here and those who have passed on.  I'm putting some of my parts on eBay.
> I thought I'd first offer up a J-Type OD unit here in case anyone is
> looking for one.  The first two digits of the serial number are 27 which
> from my research indicates it is from a Volvo and provides 27-28%
> overdrive.  (I'm seeing that in a post on triumphexp.com that discusses
> Laycock overdrive serial numbers.)
>
> I do have the mainshaft and the adapter plate.  Purchased off of eBay
> from a guy in Canada, I never installed it on my TR6, it's sat in my
> basement for at least 10 years.  All I can say is that the unit spins
> freely by hand, I can't speak to any other performance.
>
> I don't want to break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter plate at $265
> and the mainshaft at $269.  I'm thinking I'd like to get somewhere in the
> neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.  I did check eBay, there is one rebuilt unit,
> overdrive only (no plate or shaft) at starting bid $800, buy it now
> $1,200.  That's how I'm coming up with my asking price.
>
> Thanks,
> Blake Discher
> 313-259-4460
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/triumphstag@gmail.com

--000000000000102be305dbc5e0ef

olvo for Stag. I can&#39;t recall=C2=A0 the details. But it seemed a bit of=
 work for a lay person. The Stag uses=C2=A0 basically the same used on most=
 Triumphs.=C2=A0 There are a couple of gears for speedo which are unique fo=
r speedo calibration.=C2=A0 The shaft is difficult to source at a reasonabl=
lass=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Apr 3, 2022, 1:05 PM Blake J. Discher &lt;<a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:bdischer.lists@blakedischer.com";>bdischer.lists@blakedischer.c=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20

   =20
 =20
      I&#39;ve been on the list many years, learned a ton, envy the experts
      both here and those who have passed on.=C2=A0 I&#39;m putting some of=
 my
      parts on eBay.=C2=A0 I thought I&#39;d first offer up a J-Type OD uni=
t here
      in case anyone is looking for one.=C2=A0 The first two digits of the
      serial number are 27 which from my research indicates it is from a
      Volvo and provides 27-28% overdrive.=C2=A0 (I&#39;m seeing that in a =
post
      on <a href=3D"http://triumphexp.com"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"norefer=
rer">triumphexp.com</a> that discusses Laycock overdrive serial
      numbers.)=C2=A0 <br>
      I do have the mainshaft and the adapter plate.=C2=A0 </font><font fac=
e=3D"Avenir"><font face=3D"Avenir">Purchased off of eBay from a guy
        in Canada, </font>I never installed it on my TR6, it&#39;s sat in
      my basement for at least 10 years.=C2=A0 All I can say is that the un=
it
      spins freely by hand, I can&#39;t speak to any other performance.=C2=
=A0 <br>
      I don&#39;t want to break up the trio, Rimmer has the adapter plate a=
      $265 and the mainshaft at $269.=C2=A0 I&#39;m thinking I&#39;d like t=
o get
      somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,200 as-is.=C2=A0 I did check eBay=
,
      there is one rebuilt unit, overdrive only (no plate or shaft) at
      starting bid $800, buy it now $1,200.=C2=A0 That&#39;s how I&#39;m co=
ming up
      with my asking price.<br>
      Thanks,<br>
      Blake Discher<br>