Re: [TR] Dot 5

To: "'Bob'" <yellowtr@roadrunner.com>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Dot 5
From: <stagbytriumph@triumphstagclub.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 09:26:07 -0600
Bob,
I use NAPA "Mac's" purple Dot 5.0 Fluif for many years now with no issues.  It
is readily available OTS without special order, but I order it online for a 5%
discount and go pick it up locally.

One note is that I do disassemble my individual system components
out-of-the-box, clean and lube all the seals with Dow high vacuum silicone
grease.

There are sections in the older manuals and instruction sheets that recommend
greasing the seals with the appropriate grease compatible with the fluifs prior
to installation, Girling at one time had a matching red grease packet for its
seals to be used upon assembly using Castrol Crimson.  That practice changed to
simply using fluif upon assembly which for other DOT fluids is a good test to
see if the rubber immediately reacts as your fingers turn black with the fluif.

That was my turning point to go to  DOT 5.0 Purple and a compatible silicone
grease for the seals.  My first mail order was a bit pricy until I discovered
Mac's at NAPA was the same stuff.

Glenn aka StagByTriumph Garage