Re: [TR] [6pack] Spark Plug Heat Range

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] [6pack] Spark Plug Heat Range
From: Rochlin Robert <rrochlin@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 09:54:23 -0400
        I appreciate all the great feedback on my question about spark plug
heat range options.  It seems that if I want to incrementally go to a cooler
(or hotter) plug then NGK seems be the way to go.  Champions  are unavailable
in a number of heat ranges and the information on their web site is confusing.
        Iâ??ve spent a lot of time this Spring doing unexpected work on the 6
including suspension work and fuel delivery issues.  All that is now sorted and
my plan is to spend some quality cruising time this afternoon.
        Happy Motoring.
        Bob

> On Jun 7, 2023, at 10:18 AM, dave northrup <dave@ranteer.com> wrote:
>
> I would suggest that first you advance the timing.  You no longer have a
> stock engine and therefore should not rely on the stock timing.
>
> Some of my old time mechanic friends have suggested that with these cars you
> should advance the timing until it pings, then back it off a bit.  Just a
> suggestion.
>
> Also - do you still have the carbon cannister?  That's actually a source of
> air when you turn the engine off and could be part of the problem.  our car
> runs better without it.  just eliminate the branch that goes to it.  but be
> careful about the pipe that goes back to the gas tank.  That has to be free
> and clear or your engine will quit running due to fuel starvation because air
> is not coming in to replace the gasoline that is going out.  you can just
> leave the pipe that comes from the back; tie it down and leave it open.  And
> you won't get a gas smell in the garage.
>
> Failing that, I would recommend talking to Richard Good.  He is very
> knowledgeable and happy to talk to a customer.
>
> We did what you did, with the GP mild cam, triple carbs, lightened flywheel,
> polished, ported, and shaved head, decked block, etc., etc.  we are running
> about 11 to 1 compression.  Our timing is pretty advanced; never use a timing
> light.  We don't have a problem with dieseling.  I'm not sure I'm the one to
> solve the problem for you  but it just seems wrong to me that you are having
> this problem; I don't think it's the plugs.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/mharc@autox.team.net