Re: [TR] Looking for a Guide or input to hosting a successful tech sessi

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net NknEyVdisJ9FsK0G6abtoAyR0wGi+2u9KsZ84jwApLb+0zErJouEj/kdmSJ3invkmQqDHFBbpgPQjsezrDEw/Y74NCz1T2Exl60=
Subject: Re: [TR] Looking for a Guide or input to hosting a successful tech session or input
From: Keith Jordan <ckjordan@kc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:52:37 -0600
Chris and Others,

I, too, donâ??t have a guide, but Iâ??m happy to share what weâ??ve/Iâ??ve done
in Kansas City. We typically have a tech session every month and theyâ??re put
on the calendar well in advance. We use either a personâ??s garage (if large
enough) or, if weâ??re lucky, a communal garage/storage space. The subjects are
what the presenter is familiar with, for instance, I gave a tech session on how
I put a Skinner interior in my (now sold) TR3 to about 20-25 members. What made
it successful was that I had documented the interior install through lots of
photos, which I placed in a Power Point presentation. We had access to a large
flat screen TV, and I used my laptop. My car was present, too, so I could show
a â??slideâ?? on the TV and point it out for real on my car. It helped that I
have done dozens of presentations over the years, both for work and my other
hobby (railroad history). I believe that presentations should be somewhat
entertaining, rather than a dry recitation of facts (it helps that Iâ??m
comfortable speaking in front of a crowd and doing so extemporaneously).

In May, I will be doing a presentation on wiring, again using my former TR3 as
an example (through photos) and a memberâ??s TR2 that is having the loom
replaced. Iâ??m not going to talk about electrical theory or anything, just how
to install a loom and some of the tricks I learned along the way. Itâ??s the
practical aspects that most people have a question about, rather than the
hardcore aspects.

In other instances weâ??ve had â??hands-onâ?? explanations,  such as replacing
the window regulator parts on a TR6. Weâ??re planning to have a tech session on
welding in the future. It also helps to have a handout, outlining the steps or
relevant info, something one can add to the  â??TR notebook.â??

Make sure you water and feed your guests; in our morning sessions we always
have coffee, juice and donuts (paid for by the club).

I hope this helps and feel free to contact me with additional questions.

Keith Jordan
Kansas City Triumphs Sports Car Club
** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html