Re: Mid-Ohio

To: Gary Shell <gshell@iac.net>
Subject: Re: Mid-Ohio
From: Chris Harwood <harwooc@gov.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 21:05:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Jun 1995, Gary Shell wrote:

> What if they held a race and nobody came?  I just got back from the vintage
> event at Mid Ohio.  The racing was great, with one scary moment when an
> Allard went wheels up at the end of tbe back straight (he walked away!). The
> crowd was real small in my estimation.  But each year it seems smaller.  The
> Concours had a very small turn out.  The swap meet was nowhere to be found.
> The vendors were down to half a dozen or less.
>
> The first few were much better attended with a big turn out of cars at the
> Concours. There was a huge swap meet, and lots of vendors.
>
> What gives?  I had talked to a vendor I see regularly at other events and
> they said Mid Ohio raised the rates they charge the vendors and swap meet
> folks and scared tehm away.  I live in Cincinnati and there was ZERO
> publicity.  The turnout for cars seemed to be pretty good, but didn't seem
> as big as they past. Wish I had prior years entry lists to compare.  (One
> group I am SURE of was the Can Am folks.  There were WAY fewer of them than
> the eralier years of this event.  I am really worried that if this continues
> to decline it will be scratched from the calendar. Argggggggghhhhhhhhhh!>

On June 26 - C.Harwood Added
Up here in Canada we are going through the same thing. This year all the
focus was put on the VARAC Festival in June. Entries were up from last
year (Only 1 Can-Am car but several of the new slicks/wings Formula 70
series). The second
event is now going to be shared with a CASC regional event @ Shannonville.
Chris