To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, daverne@dlcwest.com
Subject: RE>Helmet Requirements
From: Dave_Lapham-RMFV10Q@email.sps.mot.com
Date: 26 Mar 96 23:17:04 -0600
        Reply to:   RE>Helmet Requirements
On: 3/26/96  daverne@dlcwest.com wrote:

> I am not currently a vintage racer but may be one at some
> point in the future.  Presently my only form of motor sport
> is Karting.  I am in the process of shopping for a new helmet
> for Kart racing (new Snell 90 requirements start this year).
> It has occurred to me that I should try and buy something that
> would meet any future motorsport requirements that may
> come up.  So my question is; what are the vintage racing
> helmet requirements?  Is there a single standard or a variety
> of standards?  Any and all input into this would be appreciated.

I imagine all of the vintage road racing organizations follow the
same requirement as the SCCA, and mandate Snell SA (Special
Application) helmets.  The SA95 helmets are (finally) out, so
you should try to get one of those.  The M90 or M95 or anything
that starts with an M is not accepted for road racing.  DOT is
not accepted.  Only Snell SA-type helmets are recognized as
being okay for road racing.
While I can't swear that every organization requires SA-type
helmets, I strongly believe the insurance requirements and
so forth make them the only choice.

Dave Lapham      Austin, TX