To: Marcho@Bible.acu.edu
Subject: RE>Newby alert
From: Dave_Lapham-RMFV10Q@email.sps.mot.com
Date: 7 May 96 16:53:49 -0500
        Reply to:   RE>Newby alert
On: 5/7/96  Marcho@Bible.acu.edu  wrote:

  -- (snip) --

> I'm preparing a 1973 240Z (BRE replica) for historic/vintage events
> but know nothing about the rules. I've begun sending off to the various
> (numerous!) sanctioning bodies but would appreciate all help until I get
> rules books.

When I started into vintage racing a couple of years ago, by far the most
difficult thing to get was a clear picture of the rules.
Each organization is somewhat different, of course, but even within an
organization the story varied depending on with whom I spoke.  Best bet,
find someone who's racing the type of car you want to race and talk to
them.

> First, when will it be eligible for vintage/historic racing?

Highly variable, depending on race sanctioning organization rules.

> Second, how much component upgrading - generally speaking - is allowed?

See answer to first question.
Some groups are fairly lenient, others are stricter than your grumpy old
bachelor uncle.  While most vintage groups don't run STRICT inspections,
if you get carried away and someone else complains, at best you'll be
reclassified (maybe into a non-vintage group).  The organization with
which I race (Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing in Texas) is gradually
tightening things up (going in the right direction, I think).  We're
filling out (self-disclosure) what modifications we've made, and against
which rule book (FIA, Trans-Am, SCCA 1962 GCR, etc) we have prepared the
car.

  -- (snip) --

> Again, generally speaking, do the various sanctioning bodies follow
> the SCCA production car rules concerning modifications to engine and
> drive train - that drivetrain components must have been offered
> originally on the car?

I doubt that you can swap drivetrain components on a production based
car in any vintage organization.  As to what modifications you can make,
that will depend on the sanctioning body.  Here, we can upgrade cams,
go to slightly wider wheels (original width + 1.5") and put on Webers
and still run vintage.  There's a move to seperate "pure" vintage from
modified vintage in some organizations.

Of course, I have a limited view of the big picture.  If you haven't
joined your local vintage organization, you should do that first.