Re: Today's Mille Miglia

To: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Today's Mille Miglia
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:14:03 -0500 (CDT)
On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Malcolm Cox wrote:

> Does anyone have any information on the Mille Miglia as it is run these days.

        There is an article in (I think) in the last issue of FORZA Magazine.
        It has a LOT of information about the Historic Mille. Also several
        months back Peter Eagan wrote in ROAD & TRACK about participating in
        the event. One of my fondest desires it to someday go to Italy and
        run the race... It'd be great... A memory to treasure for a
        lifetime... To be able to do it once would be fantastic, yet there
        are folks who run the Historic Mille Miglia EVERY YEAR... Besides
        I've got family there, near Ancona. The Mille goes right through
        Ancona...

> If anyone has any personal observations either from spectating or observing,
>that would be
> fascinating.

        As I understand the rules the car you run MUST be contemporary
        to the years the Mille was run... I believe there's a $5,000 entry
        fee (which gets you in the race and some nice mementos). Transport for
        you, your car and team over and back, gasoline and most of the food,
        if not the lodging too I believe is up to you ( could be wrong about
        some of that).  Basically it's an easy TSD rally with some speed
        stages thrown in for snicks).

        Greg "Shamelessly offering his services as "Co-pilotti" Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois