Compression Ratio

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Compression Ratio
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@FORBIN.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:16:21 -0600
OK gang the last question was so much fun, how about this one?

I vintage race a TR4. I am running 10.5:1 compression ratio, as I have
on all my engines in several different types of cars, and have never
suffered an engine failure in 30 years, believe it or not, except for a
broken TR3 crank which is a different matter. I also have had only four
dnf's in all those years, and always ran in the front third of the pack
in regionals, trophying in half the races entered.

If I build a "killer" motor, give me some advice on compression ratio.
Assume that my headers, carbs, ignition, etc is all top drawer, and that
I run 104 octane leaded racing gas. My questions:

1. What is a top compression ratio that will let my engine continue to
live?

2. How much power increase should I expect by changing from 10.5:1 to a
higher ratio?