TR4 Gearboxes

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Gearboxes
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@FORBIN.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:32:27 -0600
If this is a duplicate to J Alexander's message on close-ratios, delete
now...

Two of us TR4 Vintage Racers in the midwest would like close ratios for
our transmissions. We desire to enhance our driving pleasure, over and
above decreasing lap times, because second gear is just too low to be
useful. We would like to stay away from the additional weight and
complication of overdrive transmissions if possible. Catalogs advertise
close ratio gears but the companies do not really have them. We have
heard that Triumph Dolomite gearboxes were close ratio and gears would
work, and we could maybe find some in England or Australia, but printed
materials we can find do not seem to support the notion that these were
closer ratio gearsets than standard Triumph gears.

Can anyone help with parts, advice, etc?