vintage race eligibilty

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: vintage race eligibilty
From: unitedps@mozcom.com (Marc Ablaza)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 11:30:36 +0800 (HKT)
Hello to vintage racing enthusiasts.

I am presently campaigning a 1964 1200cc Karmann Ghia Convertible in the
Historic Races back here in the Philippines.  Presently, the car is
classified as a Class E Production Touring Car with engine Up to 1300cc.

In this classification, I do not have any opposition since historic car
racing is relatively new in the Philippines (only 3 races so far).  But
what is happening is that since there are no other racers in my class, I am
classified in the next higher class with engines from 1301cc to 1600cc.  I
am therefore racing against a 1959 MGA with a 1600cc engine displacement
and perhaps twice the horsepower of my VW.  With this set-up, it is
therefore very difficult for my VW powered KG to compete with a more
powerful MGA sportscar.

I am therefore contemplating retiring my KG Convertible in favor of a
lighter 1956 Oval Window Bug, very much similar to the EMPI Inch Pincher
which Dan Gurney raced in the Grand Prix in Nassau, Bahamas in the early
60s.

I have researched the history of VW in Motorsports and have found out that
a Bug can be classified as a Series Production Touring Car.  Bugs have also
been raced against other makes in drag racing, auto-cross (slalom-sprints),
trials (gymkhanas), hill climbs, circuit (kafer cup, beetle cup, etc.)

Do you have any opinions?

Thanks very much.

Marc Ablaza
VW Enthusiast