Re: Dry Sump dumb question

To: VAUGHN ROCKNEY <ROCKNEY@inetpop.is.ge.com>
Subject: Re: Dry Sump dumb question
From: Jeff Young <jey@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:16:32 -0800
Vaughn --

A dry-sump pump is actually two separate pumps.  The first stage (which is
usually
larger) pumps oil from the sump to the tank.  The second pumps oil from the
tank to the
main oil gallery.  (The oil filter is almost always between the second stage
and the main
gallery; the oil cooler is usually there as well, under the theory that
de-areated oil
should transfer more heat to the cooler than the oil foam coming out of the
first stage
of the pump.)  Since both stages are under positive pressure (and the scavenge
stage is
larger), it doesn't matter where your oil tank is.  The level in the tank will
be however
much you put in it, while the level in the sump should approximate 0 (the "dry"
in dry
sump).  The tank is vented to an overflow (usually required to be at least 1
qt.).

-- Jeff.