Re: Introduction

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Introduction
From: Tjackson82@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 20:25:00 -0500 (EST)
Dear Jim, et al.

I have no idea what vintage racing will be in 100 years. But I think that the
core of vintage racing in 1997 lies with cars that were built and raced prior
to 1972. That date is, of course, arbitrary and differs according to group.
But that upper time period is when a lot of people believe that amateur and
semi-amateur racing changed, when the trend was toward more composite
construction, more sophisticated engines and suspensions and, ultimately,
turned toward purpose-built racers and away from any street-based
automobiles.
Some groups say the vintage period ended in 1959, citing the arrival of the
Chapman-type suspension.
But no matter where you draw the line, it's difficult to suggest that a 1994
automobile, just because it looks like a car from the 1960s, should be a
vintage racer. By that logic, I should be allowed to run a Miata because if
you squint it looks a little like a 1965 Lotus Elan.
I did not say in my initial comments that Caterham 7's or 1983 NASCAR Buicks
should not have a home to race.
With the proliferation of race tracks nationwide, there will undoubtedly be
venues to accommodate these cars and their drivers.
But, in my humble -- and I guess myopic -- opinion, they aren't vintage race
cars, and should not run in vintage groups.
It's one racer's opinion, that's all.

Terry Jackson
Miami, FL