Greenwood

To: jeh@world.std.com
Subject: Greenwood
From: gwood13@stjames.k12.mo.us (G. Wood)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 18:20:02 -0600 (CST)
Jim/Vaughn:  You guys may have started another thread.  In the mid sixtys
there was a great 3 mile road course near Milo, Iowa called Greenwood
Raceway. It's still there in a pasture.  I watched a USRRC there in 64.  One
of the private Cobras had shunted on Sat. (Charlie Hayes?}  They rebuilt it
overnight and Sunday morning let Ken Miles take it out for a few laps to
check it out.  On a lovely early summer Sunday morning with no sound except
the birds we listened to that 289 fire up, burble out to the track, and then
listened while the great one ran it up hill and down.  sigh!  I'm sure my 30
plus year addiction started in that few minutes.  It's too bad we can't
resurect some of the great old tracks.  I've a Meadowdale story and a Ponca
City story, but I won't bore you.  Airports and city streets are more easily
forgotten, but I miss the "real" race tracks.
Gary Wood, StJames, Mo