Re: Towing with vans

To: vinttr4@forbin.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Towing with vans
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:57:29 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-24 18:28:46 EDT, vinttr4@forbin.com (Jack W Drews)
writes:

<< Anyone out there have experience towing with the new generation Chrysler
 vans? They are such sweet vehicles for everyday use. I'd like to know
 how they do towing 3500 lb car and open trailer.

Not a Chrysler but almost the same... we tow a TR4 on a single axle open
trailer with our '95 Ford Windstar van with no problems so far.  Total weight
of car and trailer is probably 3,200 pounds, towing capacity of the van with
factory towing package is 3,500.  To date, we've towed it from Florida to
Minnesota and back and into the NC mountains several times with no difficulty
other than staying out of overdrive in the mountains.  As you stated, it's
great around town and it certainly isn't bad on the road, even with a load.
 When we bought it the new style Chrysler hadn't been introduced yet so that
wasn't an option, but we've been  happy with the Ford (45k miles so far,
knock on wood, etc).  I'm sure the Chrysler is as good if not better.

The only caveat I can think of is that retrofitting a towing package to a
used front wheel drive vehicle apparently isn't as easy as with a rear wheel
drive.  When we ordered ours, the dealer said he could add the towing package
to one of the vans on the lot, but after checking the equipment list, decided
it wasn't viable due to the expense of axles and some other stuff.  It was
only about $400 extra from the factory but would have been lots more to do
locally.  If you want to tow with a front wheel drive van, it's apparently
best to order it new with factory towing package.

G'luck
Don Marshall