Re: Coming out of corners

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re: Coming out of corners
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:31:03 -0500
Brian Evans wrote:

> At 08:18 AM 26/06/97 -0400, you wrote:

> >What kinds of things should I be looking at to cure hesitation coming out of
>corners with my vintage TR4?
>
> What Kind of Carbs do you have?

Well, you've asked me a question that may cause all kinds of flames -
but that's OK - I've got a Nomex skin. We're using Strombergs. I thought
it would be fun to actually make them work, since most people trash them
and replace with SU's. We have them working very well except for this
one vice. Maybe it's not possible to overcome it, but I'm not ready to
give up, since we are running as fast as everybody else in the midwest.
I'm especially intrigued by them, since our flowbench tests show they
flow more cfm than SU's.

There is a drawback that I may not be able to overcome -- they have a
rather shallow float chamber below the throats, instead of a rather tall
float chamber a la SU's. BUT, I haven't been able to figure out if I'm
flooding or starving coming out of sudden corners.

The really puzzling thing is that steady state corners like carousells
at Road America or Blackhawk do not cause the problem -- it just happens
after short, sudden corners like 90 deg right handers.

> SU's are way tough to set up compared to Weber, in my opinion!

Yeah. More black magic, I suppose.

uncle jack from Iowa