RE: Vintage Racing Groups - long

To: "'Patrick Young'" <ply@adtrading.com>
Subject: RE: Vintage Racing Groups - long
From: Andrew Pursey <MorrisOxford@s054.aone.net.au>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:18:19 +1100
Patrick wrote....

"I'm intrigued to find that Jeremy's Jaguar has anything so technical as
"sway bars" - I thought this was a pure brute force and ignorance =
machine,
Jeremy?

Stonkingly quick though from what I've heard...sway bars or no sway =
bars."

As an interested observer (and commentator) last weekend I'd have to say =
that quick is relative.  The grid included cars such as a 1977 Nola with =
Chev 5000 and the 1967 Matich SR3 with Olds 4700; both very quick cars.  =
The Nola looked and sounded very purposeful whilst the Matich sounded =
good and looked stunning.  The Matich SR3 is IMHO one of those cars with =
the most delightful lines, and, it goes!

Actually the races were very interesting as it was a very mixed grid =
covering the following Sports Car categories:

        Group Lb (1941-60)
        Group M  (1961-65)
Group O  (1966-69)
Group Q  (1970-77)

Given Andy's original question about mixed grids and groups it might be =
worth just listing the cars entered (hit delete now if not interested):

1957 Simca Special KM200
1958 Nota Minx
        1958 Lotus 15
        1959 Lotus 15=09
1959 Jewitt GT
1964 Minda Clubman
1964 Lolita-BMC MkI
1965 Williams Special
1965 Thompson Sports
1966 Milano 179 GT
1967 Hustler SC1
1967 Matich SR3
1968 Chevron B8 GT
1970 Elfin 360
1976 Jaguar Special
1977 Nola

The racing was good and there were a couple of good dices during =
different races, and, there did not appear to be a problem with the =
differing speed and handling characteristics (I discount the first =
corner because that is always a problem everywhere in every category).

Andy, hope this provides further food for thought with your racing - now =
if only we could get Group N out to Manila for some racing!!!

....regards...Andrew "Axeman" Pursey....1955 Morris Oxford (racing in =
Group Na pre'58 Classic Saloons), 1956 Morris Isis (almost a daily =
driver) and 1996 Saab 900S Coupe (quality worse than most LBCs and Saab =
attitude to customers worse than BL ever was back in the 70s - don't buy =
a Saab)....alternate email saabsux@hotmail.com