Re: San Francisco Vanderbilt cup 1915

To: VEENET@aol.com
Subject: Re: San Francisco Vanderbilt cup 1915
From: Clark Smith <Clark@dnf.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 10:11:08 -0800
Hi Jerry,

My house was built by one of the primary archetects of the Panama-Pacific
International Exposition, so I have developed a small collection things
related to it.  I also keep an eye out for things to add to the collection.
Miraculously, while looking for PPIE stuff, I ran accross a Candlestick
Park 1965 program (could have been 1964, the guy had both, but 1965 would
make sense because it would be the 50th Anniv.) and its cover featured a
painting commemorating that race.  Inside there was more info, of course.

Believe it or not I could find no data in a five volume encycopedia about
PPIE written in 1918, but I did find several pages (great pics) in a recent
book:

"San Francisco Invites the World"
Donna Ewald & Peter Clute
Cronicle Books, San Francisco
c. 1991

Any specific detail you are looking for?

Clark

>Can any one tell me where I can find some information on the Vanderbilt Cup
>race held in SF in 1915? I think it was held in conjuction with the worlds
>fair???But I can't find out much in the books I have.....Thanks..Jerry Burr

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html