Re: synthetic oil for air cooled engines

To: Marc Ablaza <unitedps@mozcom.com>
Subject: Re: synthetic oil for air cooled engines
From: Marc Robertson <marc@blackberry-ridge.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:13:04 -0600
Marc Ablaza wrote:

> Gene Berg, a foremost authority on VW racing engines, writes that, "We do
> not sell or use synthetic engine oil for the air cooled VW as it rejects
> heat.  The air cooled VW depends on the oil to soak up the heat from the
> head and carry it back to the oil cooler.  With the synthetic oil the head
> temperature went up and the oil temperature went down."
>
> How true are his claims on synthetic oil for VW engines?  Currently, I am
> using Castrol GTX 20-50 for my vintage Karmann Ghia race car.  We change
> the oil after every race and have not experienced any problems with the
> engine.  I am considering using synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or Castrol for
> next season.  Any opinions.

Many, many years ago, when windage trays were first being thought about,
but slightly before *I* thought about them, I switched to Mobil 1 in my
FV.  The carrousel at RA = "It Done Blowed up".  Since it hadn't done
that before, I was inclined to think that oil control with the thinner
oil was more important than it had been with the conventional oil.  But
I also quit using Mobil 1 in the Vee.

Marc Robertson
marc@blackberry-ridge.com