Re: Racing Videos

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Racing Videos
From: Mark Donaldson <ardmore@voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 20:28:41 -0800
ALFABYTE@aol.com wrote:

> One I have not seen in some time and am looking for myself is
> "SMASH PALACE" A movie from @ 1985? Filmed Australia I think.
>
> Gas on,
> Rick Dunleavy #63 Tina G.T.

        You were close, Rick.
        It was filmed (1981) here in New Zealand by well-known Kiwi
        director, Roger Donaldson (no relation).
        It starred the late Bruno Lawrence as a race driver who is more
        interested in cars than his wife. Personally I reckoned he was
        nuts, but then it IS only a movie!)
        In the opening sequences Lawrence test drives his Formula Pacific
        (F Atlantic in the Northern hemisphere) on the open road.
        A bit of car action with actual TV news footage and video track
        coverage in places. "Smash Palace", the car-wrecking yard featured
        in the movie is a real one, and well known in the North Island for
        all the interesting bits and pieces you can get there, including
        stuff suitable for vintage-racers.
        Though a bit dated now, still quite a good movie

        Mark Donaldson
        Ardmore
        South Auckland
        NZ