racing gear ratios?

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: racing gear ratios?
From: ALFABYTE <ALFABYTE@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 10:23:00 EDT
Well, 1st race for the season (s.v.r.a. at Road America) I scattered the gear
box.
have a few questions for the group.
the car: Ford Cortina G.T. 1498cc push rod - heavy 2150 lbs. - 4.12 rear end
first question: the gear box was a standard ford 3 rail "simi-close" and the
main shaft/counter shaft gears got into a fight....I lost. so, I could rebuild
this box but it's mostly junk. i got quotes from a lotus place on the west
coast (you know the place).  Rebuilt std. Ford simi-close box with old parts
$1250.
Quaife close box with all new parts (syncro box $1125) (non-syncro straight
cut gear box $1650).  Leeson close box (non-syncro straight cut) $2750.
Quaife also has an ultra close box but I think it's more suited for knocking
down pylons in parking lots.  Also, one more thing, i'm only getting 5000 rpm
in 4th going into turn one at R.A. with the 4.12 rear end.....think a 4.44
would be better but I have not been able to locate one and I wonder....the
4.12 should pull better through the gears with a close box....would a 4.44 be
better or worse at a long course like R.A.? so, considering price etc. what do
ya all think. thanks for your help.
Rick Dunleavy
1963 Tina G.T. (http://members.aol.com/alfabyte)